Monday, July 23, 2012

sweet peas are hard

Let me clarify, drawing the sweet pea blossom is very difficult. Have you ever studied the blossom of the sweet pea? The mixed runner sweet pea to be exact. They are very difficult to disect. Maybe if I had a real one I could figure it out but looking at photos on the web is not helping me. Let me back up...

I was so excited when I read that the Baker Creek Seed Company was looking for illustrators to illustrate seed packets. That's a job I can do from home (since I am now a stay at home mom) and they even offer to pay in seeds! (a gardener's dream) So I was so excited, I emailed them and they wrote back. The plant they want me to illustrate is the mixed runner sweet pea. Maybe it is a test to weed out lousy illustraters which apparently I am because I am having a very hard time. So far, this is what I have...




So this is what I've come up with. I like it but I don't think it is seed packet material. I'm trying to a drawing in colored pencil but it isn't turning out so well. So, I will probably end up sending this one to the Baker Creek people so at least I can say I tried. If only they had given me a sunflower or a tomato. ...sigh....

No comments: